Blog Entry

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

Posted on: May 26, 2011 10:45 am
Edited on: May 27, 2011 6:17 am
 
Posted by Bryan Fischer

The NCAA confirmed what was reported yesterday by CBSSports.com, that the Infractions Appeals Committee upheld all findings and penalties against USC in their infractions case involving former players Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo. Last June the NCAA Committee on Infractions found the school lacked institutional control, had several athletes that took extra benefits and exceeded football coaching staff limits.

"We respectfully, but vehemently, disagree with the findings of the NCAA’s Infractions Appeals Committee," the school said in a statement. "Our position was that the Committee on Infractions abused its discretion and imposed penalties last June that were excessive and inconsistent with established case precedent."

As a result of the decision, the penalties the school appealed -- which had been stayed until the appeals process was completed -- will now go into effect. Penalties include a ban on postseason play for the 2011 season, a limit of 15 scholarships and 75 total scholarships for three years beginning with the class of 2012 and four years of probation.

"I respect the NCAA's decision to uphold the sanctions against USC," head coach Lane Kiffin said. "That being said, I am disappointed for our players, our fans and our staff that another bowl game and now a possible Pac-12 championship game has been taken away from them.

"We have been operating with these sanctions for a year now and have felt their effects on multiple fronts. We will continue to execute the plan we have in place to make the most of the hand with which we have been dealt."

The release of the school's appeal brings to a close one of the longest infractions cases in NCAA history, ending five years, one month, and six days after a formal investigation into the school was launched. The school had appealed the second year of the postseason ban and the scholarship reductions imposed.

As a result of the penalties, prior to any underclassmen or transfers, USC will only be able to sign six players in the class of 2012 in order to get under the 75-man roster limit. The school is also prohibited from playing in the inaugural Pac-12 championship game.


Comments

Since: Jul 8, 2008
Posted on: May 28, 2011 8:56 am
 

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

Do you believe the NCAA ever considered the health risks USC players will face with an undermanned squad playing in an BCS conference for three years?




Since: Aug 18, 2010
Posted on: May 27, 2011 4:26 pm
 

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

What happened to all of the USC fans that said they would "own" the NCAA if they did not reduce the penalities.  Where is the talk of the lawsuit and all of that other nonsense.  The Reggie Bush fiasco is now over for USC, and now it is time to start the recovery process.  USC is a national program and they will recover.  I am not so sure about many of their idiot fans.



Since: Oct 12, 2010
Posted on: May 27, 2011 1:59 pm
 

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

55 players participated in that fraud, which took place under Paul Dee's nose.  It was Paul Dee, in turn, who led the charge for the death penalty for USC.  Of course, Miami has hired former USC assistant coaches in anticipation of picking up that west coast talent and making millions in network fees  that the Pac-12 makes. 



Since: Oct 12, 2010
Posted on: May 27, 2011 1:56 pm
 

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

No, it was one football player...If OJ Mayo were a contributing factor, then basketball would have lost scholarships also.  Keep in mind that the NCAA already gave the rest of college football the permission to recruit on the USC campus.  The following is from USC, to give you an idea of what loss of instituional control is.....
 "In the Miami case, the most prominent violations included the university providing more than $630,000 in impermissible aid to student-athletes (primarily football) over a five-year period (1989-94). University of Miami Public Infractions Report (1995), Exhibit 5. More than $220,000 of this amount resulted from fraudulent Pell Grant forms completed with the assistance of a Miami athletics staff member. The institution also provided an additional $412,000 in direct extra benefits to student-athletes ? many of them football student-athletes. Fifty-five football student-athletes competed while ineligible due to these benefits. In addition, the head football coach and head of compliance failed to report their knowledge of a “pay for play” pool in which student-athletes were paid for big plays. The institution also failed to follow its student-athlete drug testing policy, allowing elite football student-athletes who tested positive for drugs to continue to compete, including in the 1994 Fiesta Bowl where the institution played for the national championship."



Since: May 23, 2011
Posted on: May 27, 2011 11:36 am
 

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

That's kind of the point.  The NCAA has shown little desire to closely look at Auburn despite Cecil Newton admitting he asked for money and other players coming out admitting they received money.

Why should Auburn get a USC type penalty when they did far far worse?  Any program that Reggie Bush went to was going to get investigated, the difference is the penalty the schools would have received.

 

The NCAA is not finished with their investigation of Auburn, though.  Just because it isn't in the news every day doesn't mean the case is closed (same with North Carolina and Tennessee).

I'm not Auburn fan whatsoever, but, at the moment, there is no hard evidence of wrongdoing at Auburn.  Only hearsay.  At USC, you had the agent producing financial documents showing the improper payments.




Since: Dec 10, 2008
Posted on: May 27, 2011 10:31 am
 

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

This past has nothing to do with Lane Kiffin....Pat Haden will straighten out this mess at USC in time....Lane Kiffin may have to go to get things back on track as Kiffin seems like a Pete Carroll clone....the real felons here are Pete Carroll, Reggie Bush, O.J. Mayo, and Mike Garrett....Pete Carroll should be in jail today for what he did to this program and university....same for Garrett

if those guys go to jail for that then lane kiffin should be jailed for what he did to Tennessee.....he pushed them pack 2-3 more years bc of his dumb sheningans.



Since: May 18, 2011
Posted on: May 27, 2011 8:59 am
 

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

Wasn't the game a lot more fun when all the transgressions weren't being exposed by our love of social media?


Bravesman
Since: Apr 6, 2010
Posted on: May 27, 2011 8:58 am
This comment has been removed.

Post Deleted by Administrator




Since: May 27, 2011
Posted on: May 27, 2011 7:34 am
 

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

Keep in mind the length of time in which it took to penalize USC.  Trying to equate the results of a FIVE YEAR investigation into USC's activities versus something that's just come to light within the past 6-8 months at Auburn is NOT apples to apples.<br /><br />To the rest of the country, there was a big question of WHY did it take so long to punish USC.  So, based on that, we'd hope that action would be taken at other schools faster than what occurred at USC. 




Since: Jul 21, 2010
Posted on: May 27, 2011 5:30 am
 

NCAA makes it official: USC appeal denied

So The fUckeyes get off with a slap on the wrist. talk about a lack of institutional control. Theyve got players attesting to selling memrobilia and getting deals on cars. worst of all, Tressel knew about it and refused to do anything, untill it was brought to light. If anybody should vacate their title it should be the fuckeyes... cant tell me they werent cheating when that dumbass clarett was there.


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com